Check out what's happening this weekend in Red Deer and central Alberta!
What’s Happening this Weekend | August 5-7, 2022
1. Canyon Ski Hill announced in the Spring that they were building Alberta’s First and Only Alpine Coaster. The NEW Canyon Coaster is officially opening this Friday, August 5, 2022. Soar down the Luge track as you weave in and out of the ski slope and forest trails on the Brand-New Canyon Alpine Coaster. This Coaster reaches over 1300 meters in length with a total 440-foot vertical drop. For more details and to purchase tickets click here.
2. The Hlinka Gretzky Cup continues at the Peavey Mart Centrium this weekend. The semi-finals are Friday, August 5 and the finals are Saturday, August 6. This event has featured premier under-18 players from some of the world’s greatest hockey nations and has seen Canada win a tournament-record 22 gold medals. Cheer on Canada, to purchase tickets, click here.
3. Parkland Mall is hosting the American crown Circus & Circo Osorio in their Northeast Parking Lot from August 4-8, 2022. They invite you to the mesmerizing world of American Crown Circus. International acts from around the continent. This unique circus was designed with the family audience in mind. Children and adults will be captivated as aerial artistry unfolds, motorcycles madness, acrobats defying the law of gravity inches from their seats. Fitting for all ages. Join the Magic under the White Castle Big Top. For more information and tickets, click here.
4. Check out the Ross Street Patio Performances sometime this summer, the Patio features free, live music for the Summer and early Fall season. Wednesday performances are from 4:30 – 6:30 pm, and Thursday's & Friday's 12:00 pm -1:30 pm. Join them this Friday at noon and listen to Paeton Cameron. They proudly feature talented local musicians and bands that contribute to the amazing atmosphere you will find on the beloved Patio.
5. Food Truck Friday at Capstone this Friday, August 5 from 11 am – 2:00 pm. Come enjoy a delicious lunch during Food Truck Friday at Capstone. This is a great location with places to sit to enjoy your food and paths to walk with beautiful views of the Red Deer River.
6. Summer Outdoor Market at Gasoline Alleys Farmers Market is this Saturday, August 6 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. This summer they are expanding the market outdoors through June, July, and August. Stop by to see their new vendors.
7. Visit Sylvan Lake invites you to watch JAWS at the Lake on Saturday, August 6 from 7:00 pm-11:00 pm. Bring your floatie and watch JAWS 2 on the water. If you'd rather stay on land, the double-sided outdoor movie screen also lets you watch from the safety of your own lawn chair. Jaws on the lake is free to attend. Doors and food trucks open at 7:00 pm. The movie starts at sunset, about 9:30 pm. Find event details at visitsylvanlake.ca/jaws
8. The Track on 2 has their Sunday Race, Post time is 1:10 pm. Enjoy the excitement and bet on the live horse racing (over 18). Attendance and parking are free, and all ages are welcome. They are family-friendly and have stick horse races, games, and other activities for the kids. They are adding Wednesday evening races on August 17, 24, and 31. Those races start at 5:10 pm. Check out their website here for more details.
9. Don’t forget to book your trip onboard the Alberta Prairie Railway this summer. They are offering a 25% Customer Appreciation discount for their August 13 excursion. Book your seats on the Steak barbecue special to Big Valley on August 13 from 2:30 – 7:25 pm. Dinner and live entertainment on the train, plus time to do some exploring in the village.