What’s Happening this Weekend | August 12-14, 2022
Check out what's happening this weekend in Red Deer and central Alberta!
What’s Happening this Weekend | August 12-14, 2022
1. The annual Bug Jamboree at Ellis Bird Farm is Saturday, August 13, from 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm. John Acorn, The Nature Nut, is coming to Ellis Bird Farm for the Annual Bug Jamboree! John Acorn is an internationally known scientist and bestselling author who loves to share his passion for entomology. This year his son, Ben Acorn, will also be at the Jamboree hosting a butterfly walk. Spend the afternoon learning about and looking at awesome insects. Free fun for the whole family! The tea house will be open from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. The gift shop/visitor center will be open from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
2. Alberta on the Plate's Dine around Festival starts on Friday, August 12, and runs until Sunday, August 21, 2022. Alberta on the Plate showcases the incredible bounty that is grown and produced across our beautiful province. Every August during Alberta Local Food Week, Alberta on the Plate hosts a ten-day, province-wide dine-around festival. For those ten days, participating restaurants offer multi-course, fixed-price menus highlighting local producers, growers, distillers, and brewers. Show your support of Alberta food by dining in or ordering out at our participating restaurants both during the festival and throughout the rest of the year! Participating Member Restaurants around Central Alberta: Cilantro and Chive, DNA Gardens, Memphis Blues Red Deer and Westlake Grill.
3. Open Farm Days is also this weekend throughout Alberta. Open Farm Days happens on August 13 and 14 this year! There are over 120 farms to explore across the province. All farms that are participating are on this link:https://albertaopenfarmdays.ca/ofd-farms/ On the Farm Experience page you can filter by location, experience, and date, the date you choose is important because some farms are participating on Saturday, OR, Sunday. Some farms are participating both days. Once you've selected the farms you would like to visit you can press the "Add to trip" button and it will end up in our planning page: https://albertaopenfarmdays.ca/plan-my-trip/ which pulls all that information into a handy Google map.
4. Sawback Brewing Company is having live music on Saturday, August 13 from 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Enjoy a pint and listen to Canadian musician, Paeton Cameron.
5. Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery are hosting another “Ghosts of the Past” sculpture tour on Saturday, August 13 at 1:00 pm. Have you seen the ghosts of Red Deer? This renowned bronze public art collection was initiated by the Downtown Business Association and helps tell some of the stories of Red Deer’s past. The ghosts represent people, folklore, and past ways of life. Most sculptures are symbols of times past, of community spirit or service that made Red Deer a better place to live. Join them for a 1 hour guided historical walking tour in downtown Red Deer. Please register in advance to save a spot. Donations gratefully accepted (suggested donation of $2/person). Tours start at the Red Deer Museum + Art Gallery. Click here to register.
6. The NEW Canyon Coaster is now open. Soar down the Luge track as you weave in and out of the ski slope and forest trails on the Brand-New Canyon Alpine Coaster. This Coaster reaches over 1300 meters in length with a total 440-foot vertical drop. For more details and to purchase tickets click here.
7. Check out the Ross Street Patio Performances sometime this summer, the Patio features free, live music for the Summer and early Fall season. Wednesday performances are from 4:30 – 6:30 pm, and Thursday's & Friday's 12:00 pm -1:30 pm. They proudly feature talented local musicians and bands that contribute to the amazing atmosphere you will find on the beloved Patio.
8. Ribfest is happening this weekend at Capstone, August 12th, 13th, and 14th! They will be taking over Capstone and dishing up world-class BBQ, Cold Drinks, and a weekend of Entertainment! Join them daily from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm all weekend long. There will be beer gardens, seating, and games for the whole family.
9. Food Truck Friday at Capstone this Friday, August 12 from 11 am – 2:00 pm. Come enjoy a delicious lunch during Food Truck Friday at Capstone. This is a great location with places to sit to enjoy your food and paths to walk with beautiful views of the Red Deer River.
10. Summer Outdoor Market at Gasoline Alleys Farmers Market is this Saturday, August 13 from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. This summer they are expanding the market outdoors through June, July, and August. Stop by to see their new vendors.
11. The Track on 2 has their Sunday Race, Post time is 1:10 pm. Enjoy the excitement and bet on the live horse racing (over 18). Attendance and parking are free, and all ages are welcome. They are family-friendly and have stick horse races, games, and other activities for the kids. They are adding Wednesday evening races on August 17, 24, and 31. Those races start at 5:10 pm. Check out their website here for more details.
12. Don’t forget to book your trip onboard the Alberta Prairie Railway this summer. They are offering a 25% Customer Appreciation discount for their August 13 excursion. Book your seats on the Steak barbecue special to Big Valley on August 13 from 2:30 – 7:25 pm. Dinner and live entertainment on the train, plus time to do some exploring in the village. Click here for more information.