What’s Happening this weekend | October 7-9, 2022
Check out what's happening this Thanksgiving Long weekend around Red Deer and Central Alberta!
1. This weekend is your last chance to enjoy the Canyon Coaster. This is Alberta’s first alpine coaster and so don't lose out on your chance to ride it this season. Soar down the Luge track as you weave in and out of the ski slope and forest trails with speeds reaching over 1300 meters in length with a total 440-foot vertical drop. For more details and to purchase tickets click here.
2. The last downtown farmers market is this weekend. The Market at Red Deer ends this Saturday, October 8, 2022. This one goes from 8:00 am – 12:30 pm at the Red Deer Servus Arena parking lot. The Market brings farm-fresh produce into the heart of Red Deer and a vast array of other goods, services, and entertainment.
3. The Red Deer Rebels have a double header weekend. They take on the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Friday, October 7:00 pm. Saturday’s game is against the Calgary Hitman, that game also starts at 7:00 pm. Head on down to cheer with them on. Click here for tickets and more information.
4. Kraay Family Farm is open this weekend on Friday, October 7, and Saturday, October 8. They are closed on Sunday and Monday. The Kraay Family Farm is located just west of Lacombe, and with over 40 attractions and amenities, the family is sure to be kept busy. With a farmyard, corn maze, jumping pillow, mini golf, and more, the fun never stops at Kraay Family Farm. On Friday, October 7, they are having a movie night and it starts at 7:30 pm. Regular admission applies. Buy your tickets online and save. All proceeds to the Canadian Mental Health Association. This year’s 2022 Corn Maze Design is Mental Health Matters. They are raising awareness about your mental health, the mental health of your loved ones, and the mental health of your neighbours and your community.
5. Sylvan Lake is hosting a Friendsgiving event on Saturday, October 8 at Centennial Park at Lakeshore Drive. Consider yourself invited to get together with friends, enjoy some live music, and celebrate our community at the Friendsgiving Outdoor Concert. Join in the family fun activities on-site, listen to some great music, get your family photo taken in the fall photo booth, hop on a hayride, and end the evening with a fabulous firework display from the pier. After the fireworks, head straight to Centennial Park for an outdoor showing of Patch Adams on the big screen starting at 8:00 pm. The musical lineup includes the sounds of Ainsley Elisa, Leo Martinez, Brianna Lizotte, and Thee Primitive Sound! Note: Fireworks are scheduled for 7:30 PM. Firework shows are subject to delay based on several factors. Click here for more information. Any updates on fireworks will be available at @VisitSylvanLake on social media.
6. Join Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery for the #FirstFridaysRedDeer for the opening of the new exhibit, 'At First Glance: Collecting Over the Years'. For the first of two exhibitions celebrating our 50th Anniversary, the MAG has dug into our collections to bring out artwork and artifacts that we have collected over the past 50 years. Click here for more information.
7. Fort Normandeau has a Corn Husk Doll Making event that is happening on Saturday, October 8 from 1:00 – 2:00 pm. Head down to Historic Fort Normandeau for some family fun. Make a corn husk doll for a wonderful decoration for your Thanksgiving table. Please note that Monday, October 10, 2022 is the last day the Fort will be open to the public. Click here for more information.
8. Westerner Park is also hosting the Red Deer Swap Meet on Saturday, October 8, 2022 from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. The perfect time to clear out those unnecessary items no longer required and a great place to find those things you need to complete your current project. Click here for more information. For more ideas and things to do check out the rest of our website.
Mark your calendars for events that are coming soon....
October 14-16, 2022 - Powwow Times International Gathering at Westerner Park. This year's Powwow will focus on the revitalization and preservation of Indigenous languages. Click here for more information.
November 2-6, 2022 - Canadian Finals Rodeo at Westerner Park. Enjoy the very best rodeo contestants competing in 6 action-packed performances for the top prize November 2- 6 at the Peavey Mart Centrium. Click here for more information and to purchase tickets.
Experiences to get you inspired
Things to do this weekend | December 16-18, 2022
Check out our list of fun things to do this weekend around Red Deer and Central Alberta!
Christmas Lights Guide 2022
There is so much to see in Red Deer and Central Alberta this holiday season!