Welcome to Red Deer for the 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup!
2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup Itinerary
Welcome to Red Deer for the 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup. While you are here, make sure to take in some great Red Deer experiences.
Red Deer is one of the fastest-growing hubs for sports in our region, which makes it a perfect place for fans to stay and play! Tourism Red Deer welcomes all our guests as they visit our great region during the championships. We want to help you truly enjoy a unique and fun experience while you #ExploreRedDeersBackyard.
The NEW Canyon Coaster is now open! Canyon Ski Hill announced in the Spring that they were building Alberta’s First and Only Alpine Coaster. The NEW Canyon Coaster is officially open on Friday, August 5, 2022.Soar down the Luge track as you weave in and out of the ski slope and forest trails on the Brand-New Canyon Alpine Coaster! This Coaster reaches over 1300meters in length with a total 440-foot vertical drop! For all the information check out www.canyonski.ca/coaster
Top 10 things to do in central Alberta during the summer:
1.Bower Ponds is located just off the Red Deer River and boasts an expansive and mature park setting with ample wildlife. It features a series of interconnecting ponds with gushing fountains and is bordered by nearly 2 km of paved trails. Rent a paddle boat and take in the beauty of Bower Ponds.
2. Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, amaze your crew at the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, located along Highway 2. Interactive games, sports history at your fingertips, including some great memorabilia, and all the sport-related fun await you at this renowned facility. Take on your family in a bubble hockey game or experience what it's like in a bobsled race with help from Olympian Linden Rush.
3. Discovery Canyon is Alberta’s most unique outdoor water play area located in Red Deer. The park is built around a natural river-fed water pool and kids can rent tubes and ride them down a small river into bubbling pools of water.
4. Heritage Ranch Enjoy trail and carriage rides in the summer surrounded by beautiful natural backdrops and landscapes running along the scenic and tranquil Red Deer River. Experience a variety of other activities including playgrounds, a trout pond, a picnic shelter, and a fully licenced restaurant. You can find many kilometres of paved and gravel trails also wind through the forest to the Red Deer River providing a perfect location for walking and biking.
5. Kraay Family Farm is home to their world-famous Lacombe Corn Maze. They are located just 20 minutes North of Red Deer, with over 40 attractions and amenities. You will keep your kids busy for hours, activities include Farmyard, Corn Maze, Jumping Pillow, Mini Golf & more, the fun never stops at Kraay Family Farm.
6. Trails, check out our 110km of beautiful trails The Red Deer River provides beautiful scenic views with no shortage of solitude and fresh air. Red Deer has over 110km of beautiful trails that go throughout our city, experience a unique way of seeing Red Deer by exploring on foot, bike, or scooter rental. You can rent electric fat-tire bikes and electric scooters at the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame.
7. Discovery Wildlife Park offers unique wildlife experiences creating lasting memories. They provide forever homes for wildlife in need. Daily animal presentations allow them to educate visitors on conservation issues and the challenges faced by wildlife every day. Visitors love the opportunity to have face-to-face encounters with resident animals.
8. Shopping, Red Deer has all the amenities of a large city in a smaller-sized package and with convenient locations and easy-to-find parking. From one-of-a-kind Downtown Red Deer boutiques to two large shopping malls, Bower Place and Parkland Mall. Red Deer has shopping for every taste, and there will be lots of opportunities to stop for a coffee or delicious lunch along the way.
9. Ross Street Patio, enjoy the sweet sound of musicians performing on Ross Street’s patio. In the summer, the city transforms parking spaces into a live music stage right in the heart of downtown Red Deer.
10. Visit Sylvan Lake is a great place to be this summer and it’s only 25 km west of Red Deer along Highway 11. For some fun in the sun, you can explore the lake by renting a paddleboat, kayak, canoe, or motorboat at places like Sun Sport Recreation Ltd.
Top 5 walking/biking trails
1. Bower Ponds is an area just off the Red Deer River that boasts an expansive and mature park setting with ample wildlife. It features a series of interconnecting ponds with gushing fountains and is bordered by nearly 2 km of paved trails. You will also find a fishing dock, playground, pollinator park, patio, outdoor washrooms, and a natural amphitheatre with a covered stage, all adjacent to Red Deer’s historic Cronquist House.
2. Heritage Ranch offers a mix of paved and gravel trails that weave throughout the 217 acres of wild parkland. It is great for various modes of travel from walking, biking, skateboarding, and even horseback riding, just make sure you watch out for fellow trail users and their animal friends.
3. Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary is a federal migratory bird sanctuary that is perfect for walking and hiking. Here you will find 5 km of hiking trails with viewing platforms, a bird blind, gardens, information signage, sightseeing benches, and lookout points.
4. Three Mile Bend Recreation Area is a 55-hectare natural area, located next to the Red Deer River near 76th Street and Riverside Drive. This is also an off-leash dog area with a mix of open areas and tree-lined paths allowing both people and pets to stretch their legs freely in nature.
5. McKenzie Trails Recreation Area is a natural oasis within the city, leading you along paved paths next to ponds, through the forest, and to a boat launch for access to the Red Deer River. These trails are wheelchair accessible and offer many lovely spots to stop for a picnic.
Eat & Drink
Here at Tourism Red Deer, we have some amazing food tourism members that offer something for everyone. Here's a list of where you can experience a great meal with family or a quick pint with friends.
Pampa Brazilian Steakhouse: 20% off on our Adult Full Rodizio and Pampa Experience. Mention "RED20%" to your server as you arrive. Lacombe Museums: 10% off the gift shop for people who show their tickets to the Gretzky Hlinka Cup.