What's Happening in Red Deer and Central Alberta this weekend!
What’s Happening Family Day Weekend | Feb 18-21
Family Day weekend is upon us, and it is time for us to get out of the house and have a little fun. Here are 8 ways to enjoy Family Day together, as we explore Red Deer’s Backyard.
1. Winterfest x The BIG JIG is Sylvan Lake's biggest winter festival of the year! Featuring an ice fishing derby with over $7,500+ in prizes, 4 glowing ice slides, a 1,400 sq ft snow maze, kids' activity zone, and sleigh rides. Alberta Sports Hall of Fame will be there as well with snowshoes, Para Ice Hockey Sleds, and Electric Fat bikes.
2. Round up your family in Western Wear and join us at the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery for a fun family day of cattle culture and crafts. Create some cowpoke props for your family portrait in front of the open range with the 'On Your Mark' photobomb selfie station. Folk and country music will create the western style ambiance. Stamp and brand onto a public mural, make a hobby horse and race it outdoors, and learn how to make rope using a rope maker.
3. The Town of Penhold is hosting Winterfest 2022, so bring your skates and come enjoy hot chocolate, treats, and an evening of skating with your community at the Penhold Multiplex Arena.
4.Canyon Ski Resort is full of adventure this family day weekend, so grab your skis or snowboards and head on down. If snow tubing is more your speed, then check out their new Edgar Highspeed Tube Park with 6 Lanes for night tubing, make sure you book online to secure your spot.
5. Celebrate Family Day and Winterfest this Monday from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm at the Eagle Builders Centre in Blackfalds. There will be a free family skate in the new area and a BBQ put on by the Blackfalds Fire Department. The Town of Blackfalds is also bringing in ice sculptures displayed in front of the Centre on both Sunday and Monday.
6. This Friday the Winter Ross Street Patio is having live music with Ten02, hot chocolate, a giveaway and there will even be a photo booth. While you are there pop into the shops or grab a bite to eat at one of the many amazing restaurants like Famoso Pizzeria located downtown Red Deer.
7. Snowshoeing is always fun for the whole family, so head down to Kerry Wood Nature Centre for their Snowshoeing Adventure Time this Saturday and Sunday from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm in the Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary. The cost is $3.00 a person or $10 a family and everyone who attends must wear a mask while in the building.
8. Heritage Ranch is hosting their Weekend Sleigh Ride and Brunch featuring a 12-15 min wintery sleigh ride followed by a takeout family-style brunch package to take home with you. Check out their website for more details and enjoy this family day weekend in style.
These are just a few things that you can do or take part in this Family Day weekend, for more ideas check out our new Tourism Red Deer website.