Earth Day | April 22, 2023
Earth Day is Saturday, April 22 and it serves as a reminder to prioritize the care of our planet every day. Here are some practical ways to preserve our environment for future generations, starting in Red Deer's community:
1. Reduce waste through the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) by donating items to thrift stores or participating in the City of Red Deer’s Kick it to the Curb program, which happens the third weekend of every month from May to October.
2. Volunteer for cleanups in your community like the Green Deer Spring Cleanup Campaign happening throughout the City from March 21 to May 31. Registration is free and your supplies can be picked up from the Kerry Wood Nature Centre.
3. Educate yourself and others on environmental care through community programs and events. The City of Red Deer offers several programs and events that support environmental protection. Research your community and educate yourself on the programs in place for a cleaner and greener planet.
4. Conserve water by purchasing a rain barrel and choosing local food choices from farmers' markets. Make sure to check out a favourite of ours, the Gasoline Alley Farmers' Market. A wonderful way to support and use what is locally produced and reduces transportation emissions and other factors involved with importing products from outside sources.
5. Plant a tree or build a bat house to support our ecosystem. Trees provide food and oxygen for our environment, visit Parkland Nurseries & Garden Centre or Blue Grass Garden Centre for plenty of varieties of trees.
6. Shop wisely by bringing reusable bags and avoiding plastic bags.
7. Bike or walk instead of driving to reduce greenhouse emissions. Leave the car at home and make use of the over 110 km of City trails, which is good for you and the environment! Small actions add up to make a significant impact in creating a healthier and more beautiful planet to live, work, and play. Keep in mind that Earth Day is not a one-day event but an ongoing commitment to our environment.
Experiences to get you inspired
Things to do this weekend | May 5-7, 2023
Check out our list of fun things to do this weekend around Red Deer and Central Alberta!