Earth Day is Saturday, April 22 and it serves as a reminder to prioritize the care of our planet every day. Here are some practical ways to preserve our environment for future generations, starting in Red Deer's community:
1. Reduce waste through the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) by donating items to thrift stores or participating in the City of Red Deer’s Kick it to the Curb program, which happens the third weekend of every month from May to October.
3. Educate yourself and others on environmental care through community programs and events. The City of Red Deer offers several programs and events that support environmental protection. Research your community and educate yourself on the programs in place for a cleaner and greener planet.
4. Conserve water by purchasing a rain barrel and choosing local food choices from farmers' markets. Make sure to check out a favourite of ours, the Gasoline Alley Farmers' Market. A wonderful way to support and use what is locally produced and reduces transportation emissions and other factors involved with importing products from outside sources.
6. Shop wisely by bringing reusable bags and avoiding plastic bags.
7. Bike or walk instead of driving to reduce greenhouse emissions. Leave the car at home and make use of the over 110 km of City trails, which is good for you and the environment! Small actions add up to make a significant impact in creating a healthier and more beautiful planet to live, work, and play. Keep in mind that Earth Day is not a one-day event but an ongoing commitment to our environment.