It’s the long weekend, the last of the summer, so let’s gather together and see what’s happening as we Explore Red Deer’s Back Yard. Here is a list of some of the great things you can do to make this long weekend memorable, and don’t forget to check out the deals and specials listed on visitreddeer.com.
- SOLD OUT! – To kick off the weekend, why not head down to the Red Deer Regional Airport Friday, September 4, to watch the kids-friendly movie “Planes” drive-in-movie style. There will be food trucks available on-site to make sure you don’t go hungry, and vehicles will be parked to allow for social distancing. If your lucky, you may even have an airplane flying overhead, so make sure you check out their website for details as tickets are limited, and this is an event you don’t want to miss.
- It’s Alberta Culture Days for September so what could be better than heading downtown and checking out the Glass Front Gallery, a self-guided walking tour of Visual and Literary art in downtown Red Deer
- Bannock making is happening at Fort Normandeau Saturday, September 5, from 1:00 pm-2:30 pm. It is a great time to discover the history of Bannock and how to make it over an open fire. Remember, though, you need an adult to register, and limited spaces are available, so book early.
- Sundays in The Sanctuary from 10:30 am-4:30 pm. What an ideal way to enjoy Gaetz Lakes, going with one of Kerry Wood Nature Centre’s friendly interpreters as your guide. It is a free event, weather permitting and a fantastic way to learn about the Gaetz lakes Sanctuary
- Kraays Family Farm is great for any weekend with all of the excellent family-friendly activities they have, and yes, the corn maze is open and so much fun.
- Discovery Wildlife Park is another way to Explore Red Deer’s Backyard this weekend. You can experience behind the scenes cat tours, walk with a wolf, adventure packages, and so much more. You can even book your family at one of our select hotels and get a family pass free for four, what a great deal.
- Alberta Sports Hall of Fame is always a wonderful place to spend an afternoon, and this long weekend they look forward to providing you with a family-friendly interactive experience.
- What is better than being at Bower Ponds, providing you with some fun experiences like paddle boating, kayaking or canoeing this long weekend. Beautiful trails, the Cronquist Tea house, and yes, they even allow fishing off the dock, but remember, regular fishing regulations do apply.
- Wine Tours and Tastings are being offered at DNA Gardens near Elnora every Friday to Sunday till the end of September, so much fun; however, make sure you book ahead.
- The Market at Red Deer on Saturday Morning is always a great place to get your farm-fresh meat, veg and plenty of other local products.
- Hop Fest 2020 at Hard Hels Hops. Family-friendly, great beer, local musicians, and did we say Tacos, all of this and more happening Saturday, September 5.
- Mini golf anyone, a fun time for friends and family at the Summerland Leisure Park; they also have camping, so check it out and make your long weekend extra special.
Share this Post