Family Day weekend is upon us, February 13 – 15 and it is time for us to get out of the house and have a little fun. Here are 10 ways to enjoy Family Day together, as we explore Red Deer’s backyard.
1. Go for a drive, there are so many beautiful communities around Red Deer, from the Town of Innisfail to the City of Lacombe. Take the time to stop in, go for a walk, grab a bite to eat and explore, who knows what you might discover so close to home.
2. Ice Fishing is a fun way to bond with family and maybe catch yourself some dinner at the same time. Sylvan Lake is hosting their first socially distanced Big Jig Ice Fishing Derby February 13 – 15, what a great opportunity to join in the fun. If it is a little too cold for you out on the ice, then renting an ice fishing shack from Sun Sport Recreation LTD is an easy fix.
3. Round up the family and participate in the Winter Escape: Family Day Challenge, running from February 13 – 27. Form a team or go it alone and Explore Red Deer both virtually and outdoors, enjoy a variety of challenges and some friendly family competition. Part scavenger hunt, part virtual escape room, this Family Day challenge will take you on a local adventure filled with activities for all ages and the chance to win some amazing prizes.
4. Ice Skating is another great pastime to get the family together and with a multitude of outdoor rinks available, in and around Red Deer, you will have plenty of options.
5. Canyon Ski Resort with downhill skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing available for a variety of skill levels, this is a great way to keep the family active and happy, a must for the Family Day weekend.
6. Perhaps your family is into Cross Country Skiing or interested in giving it a try, then check out the River Bend Golf & Recreation Area. They are open for classic & skate skiing and even have 4 km of lighted trails in the evening for you to enjoy. Don’t forget they also offer rentals for both adults and children if you are not fully equipped for this adventure.
7. A family that lives together can snowshoe together! Here in Red Deer, we have plenty of places to explore from Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary to Heritage Ranch. If you don’t own your own, there are rentals available from the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, Heritage Ranch and the Kerry Wood Nature Centre. Jarvis Bay Provincial Park in Sylvan Lake is another place to venture and places like Sun Sport Recreation LTD can provide you with rentals here as well.
8. Tobogganing is always a fun time and a terrific family activity, so don those snow pants, grab a sled and head to Bower Ponds, Michener Hill, or Oriole Park a few favourite areas in the city for sledding. Let us know if you find a favourite spot for some downhill fun!
9. More time with the family, means less time for cooking, so why not take the family out for dinner at Bo’s Bar and Stage, they are open for in-house dining or takeout and the food is comforting and delicious. Nothing makes a person hungrier than fresh air and activity, so feed your brood of monsters at Taco Monster in the Gasoline Alley Farmers’ Market, with a fresh menu to please the whole family. They now have extended hours from Friday to Sunday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, and dine-in is also available.
10. Fancy warming up around a fire and having a weenie roast? McKenzie Park Recreation Area has fire pits available for use, but come prepared and don’t forget the food, roasting sticks, fire starter, and of course some wood as none is provided.
These are just a few ways to celebrate family and spend quality time together, in and around Red Deer this Family Day weekend. Remember to stay warm and socially distanced so all can safely enjoy!
To find the latest regarding Alberta’s Enhanced Public Health Measures, please CLICK HERE.
Share this Post