Looking for something to do August long Weekend, well Red Deer’s backyard is perfect for exploring. Here are some fun ways you can enjoy what we have to offer with family and friends.
- Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery are celebrating Heritage Day at the Museum with Praire in the City, in which there will be live music, activities, games and more Monday, August 2, from 1 pm-4 pm.
- Bower Ponds Recreation – Family-owned and operated, Bower Ponds Recreation offers a variety of both outdoor and indoor recreation, from paddle boats, kayaks, and canoe rentals
- Alberta Sports Hall of Fame has over 7,000 square feet of exhibit space, including a multisport area with virtual baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and soccer. Also included is a Treadwall climbing wall, a 200-meter wheelchair challenge, and so much more. They have three more interactives this year, come on down and give them a try.
- Discovery Wild Life Park Located in Innisfail. Discovery Wildlife Park is a refuge for orphaned and unwanted wildlife. Check out their exciting Adventure Packages to make your visit much more of an experience, or book a Behind Scenes tour with our big cats or a Walk with the Wolves.
- Kerry Wood Nature Centre – Located right in the heart of Red Deer, it offers an extensive program of natural history interpretations. They have an Interpretive Centre with exhibits, a nature store, and behind is the Gaetz lakes Sanctuary, a protected federal migratory bird sanctuary with bird blinds, viewing decks. It is also home to many plants, mammals, birds, and wildlife. You can do it on your own or take a tour with a naturalist.
- Fort Normandeau– Is well worth seeing with its extensive grounds, old fort and Interpretive Centre. Throughout the summer, they have authentic, entertaining and informative live programs.
- DNA Gardens has wine Tasting & Tours in their orchard. The tours are from Friday to Sunday every weekend until September. They also do Nature treks, Self-Guided Bat walks, and Follow the Antique Trail. These programs go from Wednesday through to Sunday. Don’t forget their Brisket Dinners on Friday night, slow-cooked and smoked to perfection.
- Check out our different farm stores for some fantastic products like Edgar Farms for their farm-fresh veggies and home raised grass-fed Angus Beef, or maybe The Jungle farm for their delicious strawberries and wonderful preserves
- Our trail system has over 120km of trails along with the parks that connect them. You can now rent e-scooters located throughout the city to explore them as long as you are 18 or older.
- Stettler is a beautiful place to explore, from their Pioneer Museum to shopping at some unique and diverse stores, or maybe go fishing in their locally stocked Ponds. Enjoy a picnic at some of their local beaches or provincial recreation areas at Buffalo Lake. Don’t forget to travel back in time with Alberta Praire Railway; they start up their tours on August 14, so gather your family and friends and plan your escape on the steam train.
- Ellis Bird Farm – Located in the heart of central Alberta. We invite you to stroll the trails, enjoy the beautiful gardens, see the world’s most extensive outdoor collection of bluebird nest boxes, take a tour out to our bluebird trail, visit the Visitor Centre
- Mountain Surf Co Stand-up Paddle Boarding, not only do they rent them out, but they give lessons.
- JKL Trail Rides– They offer Trail Rides at Heritage Ranch, Wilderness Village (Crimson Lake), and Wildhorse Flats (west of Sundre)
- Sylvan Lake is full of things to do, from renting bikes and touring their boardwalk to fishing, boat rentals and more with Sunsport Rentals or perhaps Go-karting and Minigolf.
- Discovery Canyon is great for younger children, as the water is shallow. Beautiful playground and they rent tubes.
Share this Post