Take a look around Red Deer, and you’ll see a vibrant arts and culture community catering to all ages. Looking to get cultured in Red Deer? Here are five things you might want to check out…
1. Public Art – There are over 75 pieces of public art throughout Red Deer. As you travel around the city, you’re bound to come across sculptures, paintings and statues. Many of the pieces can be found downtown. Be on the lookout for one of ten bronze “ghost” statues. These statues pay homage to some of the key figures and events in the history of the community. One of the statues depicts Francis the Pig – a freedom-loving escaped pig that eluded capture for nearly five months in 1990.
2. A Night at the Symphony – The Red Deer Symphony Orchestra has been making sweet music in Central Alberta for 30 years. Under the direction of Music Director Claude Lapalme, they have collaborated with groups like the Alberta Ballet, Edmonton’s Pro Coro, Calgary’s Early Voices, and Calgary’s Festival Chorus. Tickets are available by the season or individually through the RDSO website and Black Knight Ticket Centre. Be sure to check out their website for information on special events and community programs.
3. Live Theatre Anyone? – One of the craziest improv comedy troupes in all the land calls Red Deer home. Bull Skit Comedy offers weekly live improv out of the downtown Scott Block Theatre. Their shows aren’t just for adults either. The group aims to entertain the entire family through their Calf Skit program – a family-friendly matinee show recommended for kids 10 and under. Tickets and show schedules are available on the Bull Skit website.
4. Downtown is the Place to Be – Whether you’re looking for a quick eat, a casual drink, or something a bit fancier, downtown Red Deer has it all. Combine a variety of food and beverage options with wide range of cultural activities, and you’ve got the makings of a memorable day. The list of downtown activities is long. The area is home to, among others, the Downtown Market, North Pole Stroll, Ross Street Patio and Art Alley. Stop in at To The Lost for a sophisticated cocktail, Red Boar Smokery for award-winning BBQ or one of the many other tantalizing options located within the downtown core.
5. Head to the MAG – The Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery is one of the city’s most popular attractions. The museum caters to people of all ages through a variety of exhibits and programs. The Remarkable Red Deer exhibit takes visitors on a trip throughout the history of the city while highlighting the stories, people and events that have made Red Deer the place it is today. Their week-long summer camps and miniMAG program are popular choices for the younger crowd.
There you have it – where will your Red Deer cultural adventure begin?
Photo of Red Deer founding father Reverend Gaetz thanks to the Downtown Red Deer Business Association on Facebook.